Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A gunman in Bulgaria has surrendered to police after hijacking a bus with about 40 passengers on board, claiming to have a bomb, officials said.




He forced the bus to stop at a petrol station near the town of Lovech, as it travelled from the capital Sofia to the Black Sea town of Varna.

He demanded that police bring a man he blames for a car accident which he says caused his girlfriend's miscarriage.

No bomb was found and none of the passengers was harmed, police said.

"I'm really sorry I have to do this and I am ready to apologise to the passengers," he told Bulgarian media as he made his demands public.

"I do not want to hurt anyone, all I want is for the man who hit my girlfriend to be brought to me. I just want to look this man in the eyes," he said.

The man, identified as a 33-year-old, hijacked the bus about an hour after it had left Sofia at 1300 (1100 GMT), the interior ministry said.

He gave himself up to police three hours later.

0 comments: